Manhattan is usually the primary vacation spot inside New York Metropolis that guests head to—and it’s usually the busiest of the town’s 5 boroughs.
As a significant monetary and commerce hub, with varied neighborhoods and world-famous landmarks, out-of-towners can come throughout many locations in Manhattan for sightseeing, eating, and procuring. Right here’s an introductory journey information to Manhattan.
What To Know When Visiting
Among the greatest useful resource guides on Manhattan are native newspapers, video and on-line blogs, and NYC & Company, the town’s tourism board.
The very first thing to know when visiting Manhattan is to know how one can get round. Geographically, a lot of Manhattan goes by what’s often known as the Grid. Established by the Commissioners’ Plan of 1811, in response to the town’s swelling development of inhabitants, the Grid is a format plan that was developed going northward, from above Houston Avenue to then one hundred and fifty fifth Avenue.
It really works like this. Manhattan’s avenues run north (uptown) to south (downtown) and streets run east to west (crosstown). The center portion of Manhattan is mostly known as Midtown.
Many of the streets are numbered, with 1st avenue beginning on the east facet of Manhattan after which ascending as they go to the west facet (which ends with twelfth avenue) or uptown.
Exceptions embrace cross streets comparable to Broadway and Columbus, Lexington, Park and Madison avenues. sixth Avenue is extra so known as the Avenue of the Americas. Earlier than 14th Avenue, streets go extra by names and might be routed in a different way.
Finest Time To Go
Autumn might be some of the lovely instances to go to Manhattan, because the season ushers in occasions comparable to Village Halloween Parade and New York Comedian Con and fall foliage. But essentially the most well-known time to go to Manhattan is across the vacation season, to view the Rockefeller Christmas Tree and different festively embellished venues.
Winter can gradual the tempo of Manhattan down, the place there are numerous tourism promotions to encourage extra foot visitors. Nonetheless, it is best to decorate in layers as temperatures can differ.
Summer time is usually a busy season, however the climate will get fairly sizzling and humid. Crowds can collect for Macy’s 4th of July Fireworks Spectacular or wait in line for tickets to Shakespeare within the Park at Central Park’s Delacorte Theatre.
Normally, January and February are wintry chilly months, however they could possibly be cost-saving. Throughout this time of 12 months, particular low cost promotions might be provided by means of NYC & Firm, the town’s tourism board, or particular charges provided by means of motels.
Finest Methods To Get Round
There are a selection of the way to get round Manhattan. Strolling is usually a high possibility however taxicabs and Uber are different options. Citi Bike, a motorbike rental share program, is one other selection however taking public transit is quite common.
Run by MTA, New York City’s subway treks all around Manhattan. This underground transit community encompasses stops at stations positioned all through the borough.
Now by means of a minimum of 2024, the MTA MetroCard can be utilized as a young for coming into the subway system, solely requiring a single swipe; as of January 2023, the associated fee is $2.75, however it’s topic to extend. If shopping for a brand new MetroCard, there’s a further $1 charge on high of the pay-per-ride quantity bought, however the card might be reused and refilled.
The MTA has begun implementing OMNY, a contactless fee system that works by tapping a credit score or debit card or good machine with a digital pockets onto a reader. It costs the identical present fare worth.
Every subway line has a color-coded letter or quantity with particular routes; some intertwine with others. Whereas their set routes are displayed on maps, they are often altered at instances due to required monitor upkeep, weekend and vacation schedules, or sudden modifications.
Use Google Maps and consult with MTA Weekender for mapping out and checking the standing of subway routes. MTA additionally runs the general public bus system, which additionally takes OMNY and MetroCard.
The place to Keep In Manhattan
From high-end motels, to main resort chains, to boutique properties, Manhattan has many lodging options.
Some guests could select to remain in Midtown, as a result of its proximity to Grand Central Terminal and different main spots, however take into account staying in one other Manhattan neighborhood to get a special perspective. Listed here are a few of the top-ranked motels in Manhattan.
Price range Lodging
- Handle: 230 E 51st St, New York, NY 10022
- Facilities: Outside backyard and rooftop deck. Notice that some rooms have non-public bogs, however there are a number of shared bogs on each flooring.
- Handle: 570 Tenth Ave at W forty second St, New York, NY 10036
- Facilities: Hip environment, rooftop restaurant and health middle.
- Handle: 2130 Broadway, New York, NY 10023
- Facilities: Situated close to Higher West Facet points of interest together with Central Park, Beacon Theatre, the American Museum of Pure Historical past and Lincoln Heart.
- Handle: 511 Lexington Ave, New York, NY 10017
- Facilities: On-site Starbucks, bar, health middle and pet-friendly rooms.
- Handle: 455 Madison Ave, New York, NY 10022
- Facilities: On-site salon providers, health middle, dog-friendly, 24-hour laundry and dry cleansing and “Solely At The Palace” experiences.
- Handle: 438 W thirty third St, New York, NY 10001
- Facilities: Foyer bar, on-site restaurant, concierge crew and a 24/7 Health Heart and Motion Studio.
A bagel is a well-known New York Metropolis order.
Manhattan’s Finest Eateries
Eating in Manhattan can please any urge for food, with NYC classics, high-quality eating, cuisines from cultures all around the world, or stylish dishes.
Newcomers and longtime institutions spherical out this combine. Most could require superior reservations that may be achieved through their web site or reserving providers comparable to OpenTable or Resy.
Begin your morning with a bagel with schmear from fashionable bagel retailers comparable to Ess-a-Bagel, Murray’s Bagels, Black Seed Bagels, and Tompkins Sq. Bagels.
Pizza is synonymous with NYC with locations to order from topic to choice. Relying on the place vacationers go, they’ll order slices and/or entire pies. Excessive-ranking spots in Manhattan embrace Prince Avenue Pizza, Joe’s Pizza, Rubirosa, Lombardi’s, Pronto’s, and John’s Of Bleecker Avenue.
Delis are an NYC establishment, in serving specialties comparable to pastrami on rye and egg lotions. Whereas Katz’s Delicatessen is on many a customer’s checklist, different good Manhattan delis embrace Sarge’s and 2nd Avenue Deli.
Manhattan has the oldest eating places in New York Metropolis. They embrace Fraunces Tavern in Decrease Manhattan, whose roots return to the time of the American Revolutionary Battle; Delmonico’s, throughout the Monetary District and with previous clients together with Mark Twain; Outdated Homestead, the longest persevering with working steakhouse in America; and PJ Clarke’s, which was based in 1884. Additionally inside this checklist, Eager’s Steakhouse has some fascinating decor. Its ceiling is adorned with clay smoking pipes belonging to their membership members.
Meals halls are additionally a preferred pattern. Amongst them, Chelsea Market is the previous location of the Nabisco Cookie Firm. This one-time manufacturing unit now holds varied eateries and retail companies. Different Manhattan meals halls embrace City Hawker, Essex Avenue Market and the Market Line, The Hugh, Urbanspace at 570 Lex, Mott Avenue Eatery, and Tin Constructing by Jean-Georges.
Issues To Do
Whereas Manhattan has a lot to supply guests, listed below are just a few must-dos.
Go to Broadway Play or Musical
Attending a Broadway present is a should, as many musicals and performs are placed on at theaters inside or off of Occasions Sq.. Scorching tickets can prolong to “Hamilton,” “Depraved” and “Six: The Musical.”
Be taught extra concerning the historical past of theater in NYC at The Museum of Broadway, additionally positioned in Occasions Sq.. Then spend a while in Occasions Sq., a significant vacationer attraction.
The Museum of Broadway tells of the historical past of theater in New York Metropolis by means of a timeline of occasions after which rooms filled with props, costumes, and different memorabilia from musical and drama productions that had been groundbreaking.
- Admission: Beginning at $29 with a versatile entry admission at $29
- Handle: 145 W forty fifth St, New York, NY 10036
Go to a Museum
Manhattan’s museums middle on artwork, historical past and different fascinating subjects. Vacationers can spend a complete day at The Metropolitan Museum of Art, whose assortment holds over 5,000 years of artwork from world wide.
It’s positioned alongside Fifth Avenue on Manhattan’s Higher East Facet in “Museum Mile” that features El Museo del Barrio, the Museum of the Metropolis of New York and the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum.
Different noteworthy artwork museums embrace the Whitney Museum of American Artwork and the Museum of Fashionable Artwork.
The American Museum of Pure Historical past on the Higher West Facet has an unbelievable dinosaur wing; it’s throughout the road from the New York Historic Society. On the Decrease East Facet, the Tenement Museum is inside a real-life tenement that tells the tales of the individuals who as soon as lived right here. The Nationwide Sept. 11 Memorial and Museum commemorates the assaults on this fateful day in 2001 together with the 1993 bombing of the World Commerce Heart.
- Admission: $30 for adults; $22 for seniors; $17 for college kids; New York State residents and New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut college students pay as they want
- Handle:1000 fifth Ave, New York, NY 10028
- Admission: Tickets begin at $25 for adults and $18 for seniors, college students and guests with a incapacity. Museum admission is Pay What You Want on Fridays, 7–10 pm.
- Handle: 99 Gansevoort St, New York, NY 10014
- Admission: Tickets begin at $25 for adults and $18 for seniors and guests with a incapacity, and $14 for college kids with an ID.
- Handle: 11 W 53rd St, New York, NY 10019
- Admission: $28 adults, $22 college students with ID and seniors, $16 kids ages 3-12. Pay as you would like for New York, New Jersey or Connecticut residents.
- Handle: 200 Central Park West, New York, NY 10024
- Admission: Beginning at $30
- Handle: 103 Orchard St, New York, NY 10002
- Admission: Beginning at $29 adults, $17 youth, $23 for younger adults, school college students with ID and seniors
- Handle: 180 Greenwich St, New York, NY 10007
Head to an Statement Deck
See New York Metropolis in a different way from up above. Presently, Manhattan has 5 year-round remark decks. Every has a special tackle the town skyline.
The Empire State Building is the lengthy timer of this bunch, as this landmark NYC skyscraper has each its unique 86th-floor observatory and 102nd-floor observatory. The constructing additionally has exhibition areas highlighting totally different intervals of its historical past since its opening in 1931.
Top of the Rock, which is positioned 70 flooring above Rockefeller Heart, has three ranges of indoor and out of doors remark decks. Starting in February 2023, the mezzanine stage and the remark decks might be underneath building, however the venue will stay open.
Situated between the a centesimal and 102nd flooring of the One World Commerce Heart, One World Observatory provides views from an indoor climate-controlled house. There’s additionally a restaurant, ONE Dine, and bar, ONE Combine, on the one hundred and first flooring, with New York-inspired menus.
Situated at Hudson Yards, The Edge is alleged to be the very best out of doors sky deck within the Western Hemisphere. It’s suspended over 1,100 ft up with 7,500 sq. ft of out of doors house. Its glass flooring has guests wanting 100 tales down, whereas angled glass partitions lean over the town. There’s additionally the chance to scale the surface of this skyscraper, then lean out and look down.
SUMMIT One Vanderbilt opened in 2021 and places a spin on the that means of an observance deck. Summit One Vanderbilt is described as a three-level multisensory artwork immersion the place, first on the 91st flooring, guests encounter an exhibit referred to as Air by Kenzo Digital that is stuffed with floating balloon-like orbs.
Then on the 92nd flooring, there’s a glass-bottom ledge extending 1,100 ft over Madison Avenue. On the 93rd flooring, there’s a Nordic-themed café and a glass-bottom exterior elevator.
Empire State Constructing
- Admission: Beginning at $44 adults, $38 kids and $42 seniors
- Handle: 20 W thirty fourth St., New York, NY 10001
High of the Rock
- Admission: Tickets begin with normal admission at $40 adults, $34 kids and $38 seniors
- Handle: 30 Rockefeller Plaza, New York, NY 10112
One World Observatory
- Admission: Ticket ranges begin at tandard at $43 for normal admission.
- Handle: 117 West St, New York, NY 10006
- Admission: Ticket ranges begin at normal admission at adults (on-line, $38, in particular person, $40), kids (on-line, $33, in particular person, $35) and seniors (on-line, $36, onsite, $38)
- Handle: 30 Hudson Yards, New York, NY 10001
SUMMIT One Vanderbilt
- Admission: Ticket ranges begin $39 for normal admission.
- Handle: 45 E forty second St., New York, NY 10017
Go to a Park
Made well-known in motion pictures and on TV, Central Park is one of Manhattan’s top attractions. It sits in the midst of the Higher East and Higher West sides and is dwelling to a zoo, varied statues and gardens, a fort, bridges, and meadows. Whereas many wander across the park on their very own, guided walks led by park workers are held commonly.
Washington Sq. Park in Greenwich Village is smaller than most NYC parks but it surely has the well-known Washington Sq. Arch and relies close to a lot of the neighborhood’s exercise.
Bryant Park, proper behind the New York Public Library, holds occasions comparable to an annual vacation market with an ice skating rink and a film night time sequence in the summertime.
The High Line is a public inexperienced house on what was as soon as a freight rail line with its path going to and from the Chelsea/Meatpacking District to Hudson Yards. Riverside Park is on Manhattan’s Higher West Facet and had a scene within the movie, “You’ve Bought Mail.”
Well-liked Neighborhoods In Manhattan
Manhattan consists of many neighborhoods various in what they’re recognized for. Most might be reached by subway together with a bus, cab and Uber.
Chinatown is a vibrant neighborhood with tea retailers, bakeries, grocery markets, and eating places and eateries reflecting the range of Asian cuisines comparable to Cantonese. Strive dumplings, dim sum, Peking duck, steamed rice rolls, congee, and pork buns.
Urged spots embrace Nom Wah Tea Parlor, Hop Kee, Mott Avenue Eatery, and the Unique Chinatown Ice Cream Manufacturing unit. It’s additionally the placement of a Lunar New 12 months Parade, which rings on this vacation season.
The Decrease East Facet was as soon as dwelling to arriving immigrants and has turn into a classy neighborhood recognized for hip eating places and funky road artwork.
A lot of its historical past regarding these of the Jewish religion who got here to reside within the Decrease East Facet remains to be distinguished at Russ & Daughters, a Jewish appetizing retailer that additionally has a separate café, and Yonah Schimmel’s Knishery, which is understood for his or her knishes. Different locations to see embrace Economic system Sweet, Sugar Candy Sunshine Bakery, Soiled Sweet, and Essex Market.
The Apollo Theater
Harlem is wealthy in Black historical past, which might be skilled in some ways. Attend a efficiency on the Apollo Theater or go to the Schomberg Heart for Analysis in Black Tradition. The Abyssinian Baptist Church permits the general public to attend a worship service however be aware to decorate modestly and observe respectful observance.
Strive soul meals at Sylvia’s Restaurant, Melba’s, Amy Ruth’s, or, for vegans, Seasoned Vegan. One other well-known Harlem restaurant is Crimson Rooster Harlem by movie star chef Marcus Samuelsson. Jazz golf equipment are additionally fashionable comparable to Invoice’s Place and Minton’s Playhouse.
SoHo is a classy procuring neighborhood but it surely additionally has unbelievable forged iron buildings and artwork galleries. The East Village has a gritty legacy but it surely’s seen as a cool place to be. Well-liked spots in East Village embrace McSorley’s Outdated Ale Home, Dying & Firm, Nuyorican Poets Cafe, and E book Membership Bar.
Little Italy provides off a touristy vibe however crowds nonetheless come out each September for the Feast of San Gennaro Pageant. Vacationers can even nonetheless discover old-school Italian eating at Benito One, Umberto’s Clam Home, and Lunella. After dinner, purchase a cannoli from Ferrara or Caffe Palermo.
How To Spend A Good Day In Manhattan
The right day in Manhattan comes all the way down to what vacationers most take pleasure in concerning the metropolis. Heading over to the Empire State Building for a tour might be a should for many guests, particularly these on their first journey to New York.
However some adventurers could need to spend a meandering afternoon in Central Park, whereas others will need to pattern breakfast, lunch, and dinner at restaurants that can hold their own against Brooklyn’s offerings.
No matter guests resolve to do, the recollections are properly value planning a trip to Manhattan.
Q: Is Manhattan Protected?
As with all main metropolis, crime can happen. In Manhattan, it’s greatest to remain conscious of 1’s environment and safeguard valuables. Keep away from sporting something flashy or costly wanting.
Within the night, keep close to well-lit areas particularly round ones with eating places and nightspots. Additionally at night time, keep away from strolling whereas sporting headphones or alongside facet streets or residential streets as they’re normally quieter and darker at night time.
The identical recommendation applies to the subway. Normally, it’s crowded throughout rush hour (normally from 8 to 10 am) after which the night crowd (from 5 to 7 pm). For security causes, attempt to not stand proper up towards the platform.
Attempt to keep away from taking the subway late at night time, as there are fewer individuals round and trains can run slower. In case you nonetheless need to go, attempt to get right into a subway automotive that has different individuals or is close to the onboard subway conductor. Take an Uber or taxi as a substitute. In case you’re approached by panhandlers, keep away from eye contact and hold strolling.
Q: How can I get monetary savings whereas seeing Manhattan?
Manhattan might be costly, however listed below are some money-saving ideas.
- With consuming out, search for specials or go throughout glad hours for reductions on food and drinks. Drug shops can even assist with saving cash on drinks comparable to bottled water. Lunch is usually a great time to dine as mixture orders might be filling however simpler on the pockets.
- Sure meals might be extra wallet-friendly comparable to a slice of pizza or a serving of dumplings or empanadas, or take into account procuring at a grocery retailer with pre-made meals. Within the winter and summer season months, NYC Restaurant Week has eating places providing pre-fixe lunch and/or dinner menus that always embrace three programs. They will embrace ones in Manhattan in addition to in Queens, Brooklyn, the Bronx, and Staten Island.
- Most eating places can take debit and bank cards but some companies could require a spending minimal. With fashionable eating places, e book reservations prematurely immediately with them or through reserving websites comparable to OpenTable or Resy.
- As for museums and different public venues, learn up on their customer hours and insurance policies beforehand; some could also be closed on sure days. Some could have pay-as-you-wish admission at instances or free admission days. The NYC CityPass consists of one-time admission to the Empire State Building, the American Museum of Natural History, and different high NYC points of interest.
Q: What’s Manhattan NY recognized for?
Manhattan is understood for its tradition, leisure, and artwork. Highlights embrace immersive art experiences, nice meals (including gelato), and dives into historical past—just like the Manhattan Project.