Barking sea lions. Crystal swimming pools tucked between volcanic cliffs. Tortoise ranches. Recent, scorching seafood. Santa Cruz Island is without doubt one of the Galapagos’ most populated islands, and the central city of Puerto Ayora is as near bustling as you’ll discover within the Galapagos: docks ship ferries to and from different islands, eating places and scorching kiosks tucked into hidden alleys promote grilled and fried fish, and tortoises roam the cooler inland air of the elevated Highlands.
Santa Cruz is residence to lots of the Galapagos’ greatest points of interest, actions, and academic alternatives. It’s a must-visit whether or not you’re planning a land-based Galapagos trip or stopping by on a cruise – like, actually you possibly can’t miss it: you’ll both fly right here or cease right here on a cruise.
Years in the past, we printed the story of our visit to Santa Cruz, Galapagos. It’s a terrific publish and enjoyable to learn, however in typical 2016-travel-blog vogue, it’s not terribly helpful. So we created this publish: a definitely-very-useful journey information that can assist you to plan your go to to Santa Cruz, Galapagos!
Psst: Planning a visit to the Galapagos Islands? Check out these different posts that can assist you plan:
We’ve additionally created an in depth 15-page downloadable information to visiting the Galapagos Islands. Enroll beneath to get the information ship straight to your inbox!
How you can Get to Santa Cruz, Galapagos
There are solely two methods to get to Santa Cruz, Galapagos: by air or by ferry.
Santa Cruz’s airport is named Baltra, and also you’ll have the ability to fly right here from Quito or Guayaquil.
When you arrive, everybody will board the shuttle to the docks. Santa Cruz Island is a free 5-minute ferry trip from the Baltra docks. From the docks on the Santa Cruz aspect it’s a couple of 45 minute drive into Puerto Ayora.
To get to Puerto Ayora from the airport, you possibly can take a white pick-up truck taxi – you’ll discover many ready dockside. The worth is about, however everybody goes the identical course, so don’t be afraid to separate a taxi with one other traveler!
The less expensive possibility is to take a bus, additionally situated dockside. There are restricted airline arrivals every day, so count on to attend a short while for the bus to replenish totally earlier than it leaves. The bus will take you to the market on the middle of city, about half a mile from the ocean and most motels/hostels.
In the event you’re coming from the opposite essential island within the Galapagos, San Cristobal, you’ll take one of many twice-daily ferries to Puerto Ayora. It’s greatest to buy your tickets no less than a day prematurely as their seats are restricted – you possibly can book your ticket online on Bookaway. The trip is about 2 hours. Pop a Dramamine earlier than you permit to go off seasickness!
Suggestions for Visiting Santa Cruz, Galapagos
Santa Cruz Island is without doubt one of the 3 inhabited islands within the Galapagos – however though it’s a populated island, it’s nonetheless filled with wildlife – the magic of the Galapagos!
The principle city in Santa Cruz is the coastal port city of Puerto Ayora, the place you’ll discover loads of motels, eating places, and all the comforts you’d count on from a small island city (don’t get too fancy, although. The web might be spotty. Some nights, we couldn’t even watch Netflix! I do know, surprising). Santa Cruz can be residence to one of many two airports within the Galapagos Islands, so there’s a very good probability you’ll both by flying into or out of right here.
Round each nook is one other alternative to see brightly coloured crabs, snoozing sea lions, and cuddling marine iguanas. You’ll discover many of one of the best eating places, motels, and day excursions in Puerto Ayora.
- Most locations in Ecuador don’t settle for bank cards, or cost additional to take action. The Galapagos Islands aren’t any exception: money is king. Fortunately, there are ATMs galore on Puerto Ayora and a great deal of outlets, eating places and bars to spend your money in! Fill up on money right here, as a result of a number of the different islands like Isla Isabela have NO ATM’s in any respect.
- Deliver sunscreen with you from the mainland. It’s insanely costly right here, and also you’ll want it for the additional sturdy rays because of the proximity to the Equator. Make certain to convey reef-safe sunscreen for if you’ll be within the water, to guard the coral reef and different marine wildlife that dwell within the Galapagos!
- There’s a big grocery retailer proper by the principle dock on the town, the place we picked up groceries for snacks and breakfast. You may as well pop to the highest flooring for an inexpensive espresso and pastry with a sea view. However understand that most motels received’t have a kitchen.
- We advocate reserving excursions and lodging on-line prematurely in case you can. You possibly can ebook your Puerto Ayora day excursions as quickly as you arrive on the island and also you’ll avoid wasting cash this fashion, however there’s additionally a very good probability you received’t have the ability to do each tour you’d like as there’s a restricted variety of areas accessible and excursions are topic to strict rules. Plus, it’s simply form of disturbing to not know what you’ll be doing till you arrive! (We discovered this from expertise.) To ebook a day journey or tour, simply discover any tour operator – their places of work are throughout city – or go to the kiosk close to the docks. Bear in mind that you’ll must pay in your day excursions upfront with money.
Santa Cruz, Galapagos: Issues to Do
Puerto Ayora is the essential hub for the Galapagos Islands, and a very good residence base to do the Galapagos and not using a cruise. There are lots of actions you are able to do on the island itself, plus a great deal of day journeys and excursions.
For the total story of our go to to Santa Cruz Island – errors, mishaps, and all – head over to this post.
Go to the Fish Market
The Puerto Ayora fish market is a must-see and completely captures the magic of the Galapagos Islands. Sure, it’s one of the best place on the island to buy freshly caught seafood (in case you’re fortunate sufficient to have a kitchen to play with, that is very thrilling!), nevertheless it’s additionally simply, like, a vibe. For one factor, there’s Lupe.
Lupe the Sea Lion is a daily on the Puerto Ayora fish market. She positions herself behind the counter straight beneath the chopping board, the place she is aware of she’ll get fed scraps and pores and skin from the recent fish fillets all day lengthy! She’s like a pet canine that’s additionally an lovely sea lion. We would like one!!
You’ll additionally discover a small crowd of hovering pelicans and herons, and generally napping sea lions as effectively. Make certain to cease by in the course of the week when it’s open!
Snorkel in Las Grietas
Las Grietas is a stupendous clear pool between two sheer volcanic cliff faces – therefore the title, which implies “The Crevices.” Throughout noon when the solar is excessive, the pool is a vivid, clear blue, and the solar’s rays sparkle all the way in which to the underside of the deep pool, making for unimaginable images and views. You possibly can leap off the dock into the water in case you like, and climb up the cliffs to leap from the rocks in case you dare! Las Grietas is one of the best snorkeling on Santa Cruz Island by far.
To get to Las Grietas from Puerto Ayora, take a water taxi from the docks and ask for Punta Estrada or simply say you’re going to Las Grietas – they’ll know what you imply. It’s a ridiculously quick trip and the water taxi is beneath $1.
When you’re dropped off, you’ll stroll previous a flowery resort and a few high-end bars and eating places (that is the costly aspect of Puerto Ayora). Stroll alongside the boardwalk (it’s the solely possibility so that you can stroll on, so that you received’t get misplaced). The boardwalk will take you previous Punta Estrada, a small cove the place you possibly can swim, with a seaside throughout low tide.
Maintain strolling down the boardwalk previous some fascinating pink-tinged salt flats. After about quarter-hour you’ll attain Las Grietas! Maintain strolling down the boardwalk till you get to the doorway the place you check in and wait in your flip to enter with a information (chances are you’ll wait 15-10 minutes to go along with a much bigger group). tl;dr observe the one path till it ends. Simple sufficient, proper?
Listed here are a couple of ideas for visiting Las Grietas:
- There are literally 3 swimming pools in Las Grietas and two entrances. Your information decides which entrance you’ll go to, and that’s the place you enter, however you possibly can climb by means of to the opposite ones. Swim all the way in which to the top of the primary pool, climb (fastidiously!) over the rocks, and swim by means of the second pool to entry the hidden third pool. To get to it you’ll both need to fastidiously climb over extra rocks (seriously, watch out. Jeremy slipped and lower his foot right here) or take a deep breath, dive down, and swim by means of the underwater cave. When there aren’t any folks within the pool, there are tons of of fish swimming on this part undisturbed, and it’s completely unimaginable.
- Your go to is proscribed to 90 minutes, however when you’ve completed, you possibly can stroll again and cease at Playa de los Alemanes and spend the remainder of the afternoon and sundown there, so pack loads of water and snacks.
- Snorkeling at Playa de los Alemanes generally is a combined bag, however in case you are eager to attempt, then intention for the mangroves in your proper to see sharks at excessive tide, or swim proper out to the furthest rocks to seek out sea snakes at low tide.
Go to the Kiosks
The Kiosks/Los Kioskos are one of the best place to eat in Puerto Ayora. The Kiosks are a seafood alley: a avenue lined with small, locally-owned eating places all cooking variations of extremely recent, domestically caught seafood bought from the fish market earlier within the day.
You’ll hear scorching from the charcoal parillas and odor smoky, grilled fish lengthy earlier than you stumble throughout this little alley.
When you arrive, you’ll discover the road crammed with tables, comfortable vacationers, and locals mingling among the many varied kiosks, all of whom are promoting a variation of the identical objects, loudly proffered by servers thrusting menus and entire uncooked fish beneath your nostril, all accompanied by the sizzle and tantalizing odor of charcoal-grilled fish.
That is Puerto Ayora’s culinary specialty: an enormous smokey charcoal grill, the Picallada, constructed like a chimney and stoked with blow dryers to remain sizzling all night time lengthy.
Every little thing from recent entire fish rubbed with spices and nestled in tin foil, to octopus laid straight on the grill for an ideal char and sear, to the effervescent seafood casserole in clay bowls, to sizzling buttered ears of corn, are all smoked and roasted on that very same grill. And it’s freaking scrumptious.
Strolling by means of the alley is a bit of like sporting a bulls-eye in your brow: each step you’re taking, somebody palms you a menu or a fish or lists a number of objects and their costs at you, all in rapid-fire Spanish. However actually, you possibly can’t go mistaken: decide anyplace, and order no matter they advocate. It’ll be nice.
Our favourite half about Los Kioskos? One of the best meals in Puerto Ayora can be essentially the most price range pleasant! A complete brujo fish to share is $15 at Sol y Mar, one in every of our favourite kiosks in seafood alley. Their grilled and fried entire fish, grilled octopus, seafood cazuela, sopa de queso (scrumptious cheese soup) and varied batidos (fruit milkshakes) are all wonderful.
The kioscos are situated at Baltra & Charles Binford. It’s straightforward to stroll from anyplace on the town. You may as well at all times take an inexpensive pickup truck taxi. If you’ll want to, ask any native for assist discovering los kioskos – they’ll all know.
Go to the Charles Darwin Analysis Station
The Charles Darwin Research Station in Santa Cruz is much less of a station and extra of a posh: the principle constructing is crammed with data and some small displays, however the principle points of interest are all exterior.
Turtles are bred in a piece of the middle – every large island within the Galapagos has its personal land turtle breeding middle, we discovered.
As we watched big outdated tortoises munch on turtle snacks and slowly chase one another round, we discovered that for years, the tortoise breeding middle tried its greatest to supply offspring that might proceed the survival of a tortoise species with just one current member: Lonesome George.
Sadly, lack of know-how of tortoise lineage result in a deadly flaw: the females being mated with Lonesome George have been hybrid species, that means that they may not efficiently mate with the outdated tortoise.
He died a couple of years in the past, taking his complete species with him.
Fortunately, advances in tortoise breeding have made it potential to resurrect this species from extinction: by breeding tortoises containing a excessive proportion of the genes of Lonesome George’s species, after a couple of generations a totally genetically similar tortoise will probably be born!
That’s some Jurassic Park sh**, proper there. Science is so cool.
Together with tortoises, you possibly can spy land and marine iguanas basking close to the middle.
Eat & Drink in Puerto Ayora
The principle stretch of Puerto Ayora is one of the best place to cease for a meal, a drink, or a nightcap! Listed here are a couple of of one of the best locations to eat and drink in Puerto Ayora:
- For a small and low-cost dinner, stroll as much as the market (nook of Avenida Baltra and Islas Duncan) from 6pm onwards for empanadas. Two stalls serve savory and candy (Nutella and banana – suuuuuper heavy however so yummy) empanadas for $1.5-2.5, with salads juice or the standard colada morada, a thick drink from cornflour, pineapple juice and berries ($1).
- One of the best espresso in Puerto Ayora might be discovered at 1835 Coffee Lab, a roastery serving domestically grown Galapagos espresso.
- You’ll discover loads of locations to get drinks for Blissful Hour alongside Charles Darwin avenue, the principle avenue in Puerto Ayora. Stroll by means of round sundown to make the most of one of the best 2-for-1 drink presents!
- Your greatest ice cream after a protracted day on the seaside is Galapagos Deli. One scoop is biiiiig and two are an excessive amount of, however we’ve a tip for you: You possibly can ask for 2 flavors in a single scoop, so attempt creamy chocolate with an area fruit, comparable to Mora, the domestically grown blackberry.
- Attempt a typical native breakfast at Tropic bird Cafe: dealing with the ocean proper subsequent to the fish market, this $5 breakfast and lunch spot is definitely very talked-about with the locals. Attempt an encebollado with chifle, fish soup with a aspect of fried plantain chips to crush up within the soup.
Swim in Tortuga Bay
Tortuga Bay is known as as one of the stunning seashores in Ecuador, nevertheless it’s due to its pristine white sand, not as a result of it’s teeming with turtles. Additionally, the visibility within the water was terrible for snorkeling. We kayaked across the bay searching for rays, sharks, and turtles, and solely managed to see a couple of tiny fish.
It was, nonetheless, a terrific seaside day, which was definitely worth the journey even when the snorkeling wasn’t! We advocate spending a day stress-free on the seaside, swimming, and kayaking in Tortuga Bay.
To get to Tortuga Bay, you possibly can take a water taxi ($10 every manner) that goes across the perimeter of the island to and from Puerto Ayora. You possibly can catch one on the essential docks in Puerto Ayora. Examine timetables although or chances are you’ll miss the final one and find yourself strolling.
Nevertheless, we predict the greatest technique to get to Tortuga Bay from Puerto Ayora is by strolling. From the Puerto Ayora pier, cross the principle street and attain Baltra Avenue. It’s a purple cobblestone avenue with a motorcycle lane. Stroll 2 blocks and also you’ll attain Charles Binford Avenue. Flip proper. Observe Charles Binford Avenue out of city till you attain the top of the road, after about 10 minutes.
On the finish of the road is a staircase up a brief hill. On the high of the hill is a bit of kiosk the place you’ll check in to enter the park.
From the kiosk is a clean cobblestone path – stroller pleasant, we noticed a couple of households – that you just’ll stroll down for about 45 minutes. It’s not the prettiest stroll except you get pleasure from seeing the identical cactus and stubbly tree surroundings for 45 minutes.
You’ll attain the seaside and be rewarded with an extremely stunning view. The water right here is just too harmful for swimming, so there’s often no one right here. Flip proper and stroll down the seaside for a surprising 15 or so minutes till you attain the top of the seaside.
To your left are some rocks the place you possibly can see nesting marine iguanas and watch turtles swim within the open ocean. In the event you come throughout low tide, there’s a secluded little seaside with shade from the place you possibly can see the mile-long Tortuga Bay in its entirety.
To the best you’ll discover Tortuga Bay – search for folks swimming and sunbathing on the shore of an enormous horseshoe-shaped bay!
Stroll to the top of Tortuga Bay and observe the trail to the best to get to Playa Mansa, the calm, lagoon-like a part of the seaside the place you possibly can lastly discover shade and – in case you are fortunate on a quiet day – spot little sharks within the shallow water.
Listed here are a couple of ideas for visiting Tortuga Bay:
- Pack in all the things you have to for the day as there’s nowhere to purchase something on the seaside. We advise bringing tons of sunscreen and solar safety (the solar is far stronger right here on the equator!), numerous water (bear in mind you might have a protracted sunny hike to and from Tortuga Bay), a packed lunch and snacks, toilet paper (there isn’t a toilet, however you could find a spot in case you want one within the bushes), a towel, and naturally your swimsuit!
- The water is comfy for swimming and not using a wetsuit and is fairly shallow throughout low tide.
- We rented snorkel gear for $14 and schlepped it together with us on the stroll, nevertheless it undoubtedly wasn’t value it – this isn’t a very good snorkel spot. There are purported to be reef sharks, rays, and turtles within the water, nevertheless it’s deep and murky and you may’t see something.
- We rented kayaks for $20 an hour from the lone vendor on the seaside. We tried to snorkel in several spots within the bay that have been too far to swim to, however that didn’t pan out. If you get pleasure from kayaking only for the sake of it, hire a kayak. In any other case, you possibly can skip the kayak rental. In case you are fairly assured in your swimming skills, swim out a bit of farther from the seaside and you’ll begin seeing turtles within the water.
- You possibly can see iguanas throughout low tide on the principle stretch of the seaside in addition to sunbathing on the very finish of the seaside earlier than attending to Playa Mansa. You may as well discover turtles by strolling left on the finish of the seaside to the little lookout manufactured from lava stones the place you possibly can see them swimming within the water.
Go to a Tortoise Ranch
You’re not going to go to Galapagos with out seeing its most well-known inhabitant, proper?
Whilst you might spot them on the aspect of the street or go to a breeding middle, you possibly can see them in all their glory (and gigantic measurement!) at a ranch within the Highlands, the inland a part of Santa Cruz Island that sits at about 2,000 toes of elevation larger than the coast. The air up right here is cooler, which makes it the proper habitat for tortoises!
There are two essential ranches to select from, each price $5 (which features a information to indicate you round) and have a restaurant and café do you have to desire a snack or lunch overlooking tortoise.
To get to the tortoise ranches, take a bus from Puerto Ayora to Santa Rosa ($1-1.5) after which stroll (plan 90 minutes) following the one path within the village and switch left on the signal to the ranches. Observe the street and on the finish, flip left for Primicias (farther away) and proper for El Chato. When you get in Santa Rosa, you may also hope to discover a taxi to take you the remainder of the way in which.
You may as well hire a motorcycle and cycle to Santa Rosa (you higher be in superb form and cycle frequently) or pop the bike on the bike rack on the bus to Santa Rose, then bike the remainder of the way in which there.
Alternatively, you possibly can take a taxi ($40 spherical journey) which is able to look ahead to you there.
Listed here are some ideas for visiting tortoise ranches:
- El Chato has three small lava tunnels, so you can begin with a shorter one and work your manner as much as the longer, darker ones (in case you get claustrophobic!). Primicias has one, virtually a mile-long tunnel with no manner of exiting earlier or turning round.
- Don’t put on your greatest garments — you’ll be strolling by means of excessive grass, crawling into an empty tortoise shell, and strolling round muddy fields, so be ready!
- Deliver a sweater and/or raincoat; even when it’s sunny on the coast, it may possibly get very moist up within the higher-elevation highlands. And convey socks! It helps keep away from ant bites within the tall grass. Plus if it’s muddy, the ranches provides you with rainboots.
Swings at Highland Views
Highland Views is a farm inland – within the larger elevation, cooler a part of Santa Cruz island often called the Highlands – that’s open to vacationers ($5). Right here you possibly can stroll across the farm and take un gorgeous views that stretch all the way in which throughout the island to the ocean, befriend and feed livestock, and see an indication of how they make sugarcane juice. However the actual draw are what Instagrammable goals are constructed from: swings!
How loopy you need to go on the swing is as much as you: there aren’t any guidelines – and no security belts. Arise or just sit; both manner, the primary second you swing your toes ahead and overlook your entire island and see all the way in which to Santa Fe is exhilarating.
Tip: You’ll get one of the best image in case your photographer stands on the aspect of the large posts holding the swing.
Oh, and don’t neglect to sit back within the hammock and pet the canines earlier than you permit!
- To get to Highland Views, you possibly can take a taxi for $15. Or for the cheaper and extra adventurous route, catch a bus from the nook of Baltra Avenue and Isla Duncan to El Cascajo for $1 – there’s one within the morning and one after lunch. From Cascajo, stroll again down the hill you got here up with and also you’ll discover the trail as much as Highland Views.
Garrapatero Beach is a hidden gem within the Galapagos – a surprising quiet seaside (besides on weekends) the place you possibly can swim and kayak within the crystal clear water, calm down on the smooth white sand, or stroll alongside the seaside laced with volcanic lava rock.
There’s not a lot to see within the water, so depart your snorkel gear at your resort, however the panorama is beautiful. Spend all day sitting within the shade, watching the pelicans on the water and leaping within the waves. And preserve an eye fixed out for flamingos!
Plan for an all-day tour and pack a lunch to convey with you (we advocate a pulled pork sandwich from Island Deli). There’s a toilet and altering space accessible right here, so you possibly can bathe earlier than you head again.
- To get to Garrapatero Seashore, you possibly can take a taxi from Puerto Ayora (about $20 every manner) – be sure you allow them to know you’ll want a return trip. So as to add a scenic vista, negotiate in your taxi to drive you again by way of the highlands. It prices a bit of extra, the views are value it as you come residence. You’ll additionally get an opportunity to breathe within the cool, high-altitude, air for some time – a refreshing change after a protracted day on the seaside!
- You may as well hire bikes on the town ($10-15, ask for a lock) and bike there, a bit of beneath 5 miles (put together for hills). You’ll cease no less than twice to benefit from the view and snap pics, or simply as a result of there’s a tortoise on the street. For the way in which again, ebook a taxi prematurely ($20) as there is no such thing as a sign and the way in which again is STEEP!
Santa Fe Island Day Journey
We took the Santa Fe Island day tour from Puerto Ayora. The tour was over 8 hours lengthy: we left at 8am and returned at 5pm.
First, we spent over an hour stress-free on a seaside. Not one of the group knew we have been going to be parked at a seaside for over an hour, so no one had introduced something to do, blankets, sun shades, and many others – we have been all ready to simply hop within the ocean and snorkel. There was numerous grumbling and tedium. I spent an hour constructing a sand fort. There are worse methods to waste time, however I do want we’d had some advance discover.
Subsequent we went to a rocky cliff face to snorkel. The present was extremely sturdy; that is not your common stress-free snorkeling and swimming was tough! We did see some fairly fish – the water was deeper than a lot of the different excursions we went on.
After snorkeling, we went to a different space, a vivid blue lagoon, the place we lastly have been in a position to swim with sea lions alongside the rocks the place they lay stress-free. Then a offered lunch, then one other non-compulsory hour for swimming, after which an odd half-hour of our boat making an attempt to catch fish for the following day’s lunch; then lastly we returned.
One of the best a part of this tour was that it wasn’t rushed; we weren’t continually having to maintain up with a gaggle or all trailing the identical animals. Additionally, there are 3 separate areas, 2 of which have distinctive snorkeling alternatives, so it wasn’t repetitive or boring in any respect.
Listed here are some ideas for the Santa Fe tour:
- In the event you do that tour, do it earlier in your journey as you’re unlikely to see a lot that’s new and thrilling in case you’ve already been snorkeling lots.
- You possibly can book the Santa Fe tour online in advance, or ebook on the docks when you arrive.
- Our tour didn’t embody wetsuits, however the water is frigid. Hire wetsuits at any company on the town for the day.
- The offered masks have been poorly made – two of the air tubes, together with mine, fell off within the ocean. We have been then requested to pay for the misplaced tubes (I politely refused). But one more reason why we advocate bringing your individual snorkeling gear as a part of our Galapagos Packing List.
Seymour Island Day Journey
On this all-day tour you’re more likely to see frigate birds, blue-footed boobies, and swallow-tailed gulls as you hike across the island. Then, you’ll go swimming and snorkeling with sea lions. You possibly can spot flamingos and sharks, too!
That is an all-day, 8 hour day journey that leaves at 8 am. As soon as picked up, you’ll drive for about an hour to Itabaca Canal earlier than boarding your boat.
You’ll head to an space to hike and stroll round, in addition to go to a blue-footed boobies nest – in case you’re fortunate, you’ll see them doing awkward little courtship dances throughout mating season! You’ll go to Las Bachas Seashore for snorkelling and swimming earlier than heading again to your resort.
Lunch, snorkel gear, and a wetsuit are offered.
In the event you’re not visiting Isla Isabela, this is perhaps your solely probability to see blue-footed boobies – and people foolish little birds are effectively definitely worth the tour. In any other case, you may need to wait till you possibly can take the Los Tuneles tour on Isabela Island, which is similiar.
You possibly can book this tour online in advance, or when you arrive in Puerto Ayora at any native tour operator or on the kiosk by the docks.
Santa Cruz, Galapagos Accommodations: The place to Keep
There are many motels on Santa Cruz Island situated in Puerto Ayora, starting from cheap to extra luxurious. Anticipate decently sized personal rooms with personal loos, sizzling water, towels, drinkable water, and the works for round $50-70 an evening, or a bit larger in case you choose to incorporate breakfast.
Listed here are our picks near the principle stretch of Puerto Ayora:
- Mid-Vary Resort: Sueno Silvestres is situated near the Charles Darwin analysis middle and some blocks away from the seaside & essential avenue of Puerto Ayora in a pleasant quiet and personal space. Our room was giant, sizzling water was plentiful, there have been free towels and drinkable water offered, and the proprietor Carlos was pleasant and welcoming. Breakfast is obtainable for an additional price.
- Trip Rental: This spacious modern loft has ocean views EVERYWHERE – from the lounge, the personal balcony. This sunny little apartment nestled within the treetops is only a 5-minute stroll away from the principle city stretch – AND it’s beneath $100/night time!
- Finances-Pleasant Hostel: Hostal Vista al Mar has dorm rooms (together with all-female rooms) and a visitor kitchen and a backyard for $15-20/night time. That’s a tremendous worth for the Galapagos!
Most motels in Santa Cruz are situated inside a 10-minute stroll from the docks, kiosks, and grocery shops in Puerto Ayora. However a couple of motels are situated on the Punta Estrada Waterfront close to the quiet Alemanes Seashore. It’s a brief water taxi trip again to the principle stretch in Puerto Ayora. (And really near Las Grietas!)
Listed here are our picks for the place to remain in Punta Estrada:
- Finch Bay is palms down the nicest resort in Santa Cruz. Suppose luxurious all the things. There’s even a personal dock with a personal yacht for visitors. Facilities embody free Wi-Fi, A/C, a beautiful swimming pool and restaurant, and a pier with yachts to go to the islands. Breakfast with bacon, sausages, pancakes, recent fruits and eggs is served every day.
- Hotel Angermeyer Waterfront Inn is in a picturesque resort manufactured from lava stones and driftwood. Big home windows overlook the ocean as you dine in your included breakfast or get pleasure from a cocktail by the hearth. Sunbathe, chill, or snorkel on the personal waterfront!
Psst: Planning a visit to the Galapagos Islands? Check out these different posts that can assist you plan:
We’ve additionally created an in depth 15-page downloadable information to visiting the Galapagos Islands. Enroll beneath to get the information ship straight to your inbox!
Psst: Save this publish for in a while Pinterest!